Τhe Archaeological Museum of Mykonos was built in 1900-02 in Kamnaki, in a dominant position above the old harbor, in order to house the rich findings of the 5th century BC, which were discovered in Rinia in 1898 and other burial vaults of the island. Alexandros Lykakis was the architect who designed the building and the Ministry of National Education and Religious Affairs and the Athens Archaeological Society covered the expenses. The Municipality of Mykonos donated the plot and the original neoclassical building took its current "island" form in 1934, while in 1972 the large eastern hall was added
The museum exhibits a large number of vases, memorial statues, columns and funerary urns from Rheneia, and very few vases from Mykonos, ranging from the prehistoric to the late Hellenistic period (3000 to 1st century B.C.). Among the collections included are tombstones and columns of the 2nd-1st century BC, vessels from the 1st century BC, figurines from the 2nd - 1st century BC, jewelry and small objects from the 2nd - 1st century BC
There is a rich collection of vessels which is representative of the Cycladic pottery dating from the Geometric period up to the 6th century B.C. Also on exhibit are exquisite black and red figure pottery and other finds, including Hellenistic period gravestones and other sculptures
Among the finds from Mykonos, is the impressive “Pithos of Mykonos”: a large jar, (made in a workshop in Tinos in the 7th century B.C.) Richly decorated with embossed pictures depicting various scenes from the Trojan War, it is truly magnificent. (In the centre the Achaean warriors with the Trojan Horse are depicted).
The museum is open from 8:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m., daily, except from Monday and major public holidays. (+30) 22890 22325.
The Folklore Museum is the located in Kastro, a few meters away from the famous Paraportiani and the building itself is an old two-storey ship owner’s house.
Τhere are six main exhibition halls which house collections of antique furniture, Byzantine icons, Folkloric ceramics, historical commemorative plates, decorative prints and gravures, as well as
embroidered and hard-woven fabrics, locks and keys, weights and measures, a lovely collection of model boats, and other historical artefacts. There are also important archives of manuscripts and printed matter, photographs, maps and a library.
It is open from April to October 4:30 to 8:30 p.m. daily, except Sundays.
Tel. (+30) 22890 22591
The Agricultural Museum of Mykonos was established subsequently to the 1st Symposium of the Folklore Museums of Greece, which was held in Mykonos in1984. It serves the idea of an outdoor museum, which includes as its exhibits the Bonis Windmill and some other facilities such as the threshing floor, the dovecote, the well, the oven, the wine-press, etc. The Windmill, the threshing floor and the oven are the tree rural installations that for centuries have provided the locals with bread, the most significant part of their everyday diet.
The intention of the Agricultural Museum is to preserve the autonomous rural farmhouse, typical of what once was such a vital aspect of rural life in Greek islands. Also, at the Agricultural Museum of Mykonos one can see tools and machines from the pre – industrial and early industrial eras, which were used in the past for the production and processing of agricultural products.
The museums centrepiece is the Bonis Windmill, which is in full working order and may be visited from June to September daily, 4:00-8:00 p.m.
Lena's house, near the Three Wells, is a charmingly preserved, authentic 19th century Mykonian middle-class dwelling, which is completely furnished and equipped with antique furniture and house utensils.
Open evenings, except Sundays, from April to October, 6:30p.m. to 9:30p.m.
Tel. (+30) 22890 26246 (Bonis Windmill), (+30) 22890 22390 (Lenas House).
Aegean Naval Museum
Located by the Three Wells, next door to Lena’s House, this museum displays scale models of various rowing boats, sailing vessels and steam-powered ships which, in turn, from Prehistoric times until the present, have traversed the Aegean.
Τhere is also a rich collection of maps and other engravings as well as a collection of reproductions of ancient gravestones, carved with sea-themes; there, as well, is the tower with the mechanism of the Armenisti Lighthouse (1889). The “EVANGELISTRIA”, a traditional sailing vessel belonging to the museum, is moored every summer in the old harbour where it may be boarded by interested visitors.
The museum is open April to October daily, from 10:30 to 13:00 and evenings from 18:30 to 21:00. Tel.: (+30) 22890 22 700